Lamhs on course for semi-final place

Senior Reserve Cup Group 1

St Mary’s 2:10 Lamh Dhearg 5:12

Lamh Dhearg travelled to Aghagallon on Friday evening and signalled their intent in Group 1 of the Senior Reserve Cup. Despite there only being two points between the sides at the interval the visitors turned on the style in the second half and finished with a 14 point victory.

The opening minutes saw Lamh Dhearg with a lot of possession but their accuracy wasn’t in and it was 

Ruairi Loughran who opened the scoring putting the hosts in front from a free.

The Hannastown men replied with a point from Jack Summersgill and then he played Daniel Murray in for the opening major of the evening. Conor Mc Kavanagh pulled back a point but the Aghagallon net rippled again, Declan Dunne played a lovely weighted fist pass over the defence and one on one with the ‘keeper Carl Maxwell made no mistake.

Aghagallon got a goal of their own, a quick free taken by Adam Shanks found its way to Benji Hannon who took his goal well. 

Lamh Dhearg got a point either side of the water break from Francis Dugan and Carl Maxwell and despite all of their possession they could not open up a significant lead. It was point for point with Hannon with two points and Loughran for the hosts and Carl Maxwell with one and Cormac Hannan with two for the visitors, both from the dead ball with a 45 and a free. 

On the stroke of half time Aghagallon were awarded a penalty when Kieran Hamill started the move and linked well with Shane Russell, when Hamill got the ball back and closed in on goal he was bundled over in the parallelogram and Ruairi Loughran converted.

H.T. St Mary’s 2:05 Lamh Dhearg 2:07

If the score board defied Lamh Dhearg’s dominance in the first half they set about rectifying that and got down to business early in the second half, and were much stronger across the field. The impressive Dugan got the scoring underway and was joined by Dunne. Jack Summersgill got the first goal of the second-half, he ran through the defence and although Niall Rogers got a hand to the shot, the power took it past him into the net. 

There was ten minutes on the clock before Aghagallon created their first chance of the half and even then

Ryan Diamond made a great challenge on Shane Russell as he was about to get his shot away. Fintan Campbell did convert from a free. Dugan got Lamh Dhearg’s fourth goal and Summersgill got a great point running from deep.

As the game entered the last quarter both teams emptied the benches. Ruairi Loughran added three points to his tally and Shane Russell got one, in reply Eoin Matassa and Francis Dugan added points before Daire Larkin wrapped up the scoring for the evening when everyone else seemed to stop he chased down the ball and slipped it past the advancing keeper.

Niall Rogers, James Crossey, Roland Mulholland, Jonathan Harbinson, Steven Branagan, Michael Mc Stravick, Kieran Hamill, Callum Fitzpatrick, Dessie Marshall,

Ruairi Loughran (1:05 1f 1 Penalty goal), Shane Russell (0:01), Conor Mc Kavanagh (0:01) Benjiman Hannon (1:02), Fintan Campbell (0:01), Adam Shanks

Christopher Mc Grath for Kieran Hamill (30 mins), Anselm Henry for Benji Hannon, Kieran Magee for Michael Mc Stravick

Daniel Hartley, Ross Murray, Conor Mc Varnock, Ronan Fegan, Ryan Diamond, Declan Straney, Eoin Matassa (0:01), Cormac Hannan (0:02 1×45 1f), Declan Dunne (0:01), Aaron Ferris, Carl Maxwell (1:03), Daire Larkin (1:00), Daniel Murray (1:00), Jack Summersgill (1:02), Francis Dugan (1:03)


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.