Lámhs edge out St Enda’s

Senior Reserve Football Cup Group 1

Lámh Dhearg 1-07-0-08 St Enda’s

From Kevin Herron at Hannahstown

Lámh Dhearg were pushed all the way but edged out St Enda’s 1-07-0-08 to keep alive their hopes of progressing to the semi-final of the competition.

Both sides struggled to field, owing to a packed schedule of Championship meetings this weekend.

The hosts hit the front early on through an Anto Byrne point and just before the 5th minute St Enda’s keeper Sean O’Cealliagh strayed from his goal and lost possession with Brendan McCrudden fisting the ball to the back-post where Lee Clarke scrambled home a goal on his senior debut.

It took St Enda’s until the 21st minute to claim their first score of proceedings through an excellent Michael Devenny point.

The corner-forward would add back to back scores in the aftermath courtesy of converted frees as Lámh Dhearg saw their lead dwindle to just a single point.

Without a score since their 5th minute goal, the hosts scored back to back points of their own through Byrne and Francie Dugan (free) with Patrick Coogan replying before the break to ensure just two-points separated the sides (1-03-0-04).

St Enda’s closed the deficit at the beginning of the second-half through a Gerard McAlea shot that curled over at the near post, Michael Kennedy then floated over the equaliser in the aftermath and a converted 65’ from Lorcan Murray edged the Hightown side ahead for the first time.

Prior to falling behind Ross Murray was denied a goal by the crossbar- but Murray popped over the equalising score for his side after Daire Larkin claimed the mark in the middle of the field.

Larkin was beginning to dominate under the high ball and another quickfire attack as a result saw Francie Dugan slip-in Ross Murray who shot straight at Sean O’Cealliagh in the St Enda’s goal.

Lámh Dhearg regained the lead through a converted Francie Dugan free with little over ten minutes remaining and then curled the ball over after a patient attack.

Aaron Ferris angled over a fourth score on the trot as the goal separated the sides. St Enda’s pushed for a goal which would have ensured a share of the spoils- but they were out of luck and a further converted free by Michael Devenny was their last point of the evening.

Lámh Dhearg: G McKeown, J Jones, M Lynch, E O’Neill, R Fegan, C Nolan, A McCloskey, D Larkin, C CMcCloskey, A Ferris (0-01), F Dugan (0-03, 0-02f), R Murray (0-01), B McCrudden, A Byrne (0-02), L Clarke (1-00). Subs: B Eliott for L Clarke (HT), M Boyle for E O’Neill (48).

St Enda’s: S O’Ceallaigh, C McKeown, S Dowds, C McCann, F O’Neill, F Eastwood, P McKillen, C Scott, F O’Connor, D Madden, L Murray (0-01), G McAlea (0-01), P Coogan (0-01), M Kennedy (0-01), M Devenny (0-04, 0-03f).

Referee: Paul Burns (St Comgalls)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.