Glenravel secure the points with an impressive tally

Glenravel 5-15    St Teresas 1-1

They say goals win games and that was certainly true of this entertaining Division 3 hurling match played in rather cool conditions in Fr Maginn Park. Ahead by five points at the break, Con Magees put together a very good performance second half to cruise to victory. But they didn’t have things their own way for the full hour, their opponents showing glimpses of competing throughout the first half but the goals they conceded eventually led to their down fall.

Glenravel opened with a couple of points from Declan Traynor and Niall Donnelly but St Teresa’s lynch pin, Phil Maguire, who was at the heart of everything the City lads did, pulled a point back from a free with five minutes on the clock. Johnny Fyfe and Cathal Hynds doubled the home team’s score to four points but the visitors replied through Darren McCann and Stephen Carey, the latter was stationed at full forward throughout the game and was very impressive under a dropping ball. As the water-break approached there was only a single point separating the teams but Glenravel were beginning to exert some pressure and when Conleth O’Loan controlled a high ball on his stick and offloaded a rocket, Stephen O’Hara in St Teresa’s goal could only parry the shot. Odhran McAleenan was first on the scene and pulled to the net for the opening goal of the game.

James Duffin and Conleth O’Loan added points  and shortly after Conleth O’Loan broke free from the visitor’s defence and fired to the net. In that five minute period the local lads had shifted from a single point to a nine point lead. Declan Traynor and Conor O’Rawe traded points to retain the nine point gap but the last five minutes of the first half belonged to St Teresa’s who notched up four unanswered points to leave them trailing by five at the short whistle.

Buoyed by that success the visitors were first off the mark in the second half through Phil Maguire and now were very much back in the game as they tried to track their hosts down. But again, Con Magees put on the after burners and shortly after Niall Donnelly had pointed, Cathal Hynds fired to the roof of the net for the home team’s third goal. Donnelly added another couple of points from placed balls and Glenravel were now ten ahead 3-09 to 0-09. The Glenravel resurgence was interrupted by a penalty goal for St Teresa’s from their ace marksman Maguire but Glenravel came back ever stronger with points from Conleth O’Loan, Declan Traynor and Niall Donnelly and a scrambled goal from the recently introduced Shane Woulahan. With ten minutes now left on the clock and the home team ahead 4-13 to 1-10 the game was effectively over as a contest and when Niall Donnelly goaled from a penalty with five minutes remaining we were just waiting for the referee to blow his whistle. Glenravel’s Cathal Hynds recorded the last score of the game with a point to leave them impressive enough victors on a 5-15 to 1-11 score line.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.