Casements win by seven

Homefit All-County Football League Division One

Portglenone 0-12-0-05 Lámh Dhearg

Kevin Herron reports from Kelly Park

Portglenone outscored Lámh Dhearg 0-08-0-02 in the second quarter of the first half as the hosts ran out 0-12-0-05 winners at Kelly Park this evening.

Playing against a strong first half breeze Lámh Dhearg tried to hold onto the ball for as long as possible in the early stages and went from side to side and back to front- drawing out a few frees that Declan Smith was unfortunate to see tail wide in the wind.

Portglenone would nip ahead on the 13th minute through a converted Paddy Kelly free and Kelly would double the lead at the water break after Oisin Doherty slipped the ball inside to Michael Hagan who in turn found Kelly for a simple score.

It was in the aftermath of the water break that the hosts really made their mark, Kelly conjured up his third from Fergal O’Kane’s offload and after Cailean Tierney turned over the resulting kick-out Conall Delargy took aim between the large posts.

Further points followed through Michael Hagan, Oisin Doherty and a fine long-range effort from Aidan McAleese.

Lámh Dhearg eventually got off the mark through a converted Terry McCrudden free from in front of the posts.

But Cailean Tierney replied after a quick passing move through the hands and Conall Delargy kicked his second point of the half.

Declan Smith kicked a free towards the end of the half- however Paddy Kelly kicked an impressive score for his fourth of the evening to give his side a 0-10-0-02 lead at the interval.

Lámh Dhearg needed a quick start to the second half, and they found the opening score through Declan Smith.

Debutant Niall McGarry then picked out full-back Conor McVarnock in space and McVarnock steered the ball over the bar.

The visitor’s momentum failed to gather any further pace as Michael Hagan would kick successive frees.

Terry McCrudden would convert his second free of the evening late-on but despite having the majority of second half possession the Lámhs were unable to convert it to scores as Portglenone ran out deserved winners at the games conclusion.

Portglenone: R O’Neill, J Convery, S Delargy, R Delargy, R Convery, M Kelly, C McGhee, C Lynch, F O’Kane, A McAleese (0-01), C Delargy (0-02), O Doherty (0-01), M Hagan (0-03, 0-02f), P Kelly (0-04, 0-01f), C Tierney (0-01). Subs: G McAleese for A McAleese (42), R Kelly for R Delargy (47), S Kelly for M Hagan (55).

Lámh Dhearg: M McIlvenny, R Murray, C McVarnock (0-01), C Nolan, D Murray, P Mervyn, R Diamond, C Hannan, P Fitzsimons, F Mervyn, D Straney, D Larkin, N McGarry, T McCrudden (0-02f), D Smith (0-02, 0-01f). Subs: C Boyd for D Murray (47), A Ferris for D Larkin (52), R Fegan for N McGarry (54), A Byrne for D Straney (57).

Referee: Cathal McDermott (Tir na Nog)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.