Creggan edge out St Brigid’s for vital win

Homefit Antrim Football League Division One

St Brigid’s 2-11 Kickham’s, Creggan 3-9

Kickham’s Creggan edged out St Brigid’s by a single point in Wednesday evening’s exciting Division 1 game at Musgrave Park. Despite shooting nine wides in the opening quarter the men from the Loughshore slowly but surely found their way back into the game and goals from Paddy Coey, from a penalty, and Tiernan Burke had them a point clear at the break. (2-5 to 2-4)

The second half was nip and tuck as two evenly matched teams battled for supremacy, but the visitors got the edge when substitute David McGuckin grabbed their third goal and they held off a spirited comeback by the home side to seal the win that sees them move above their hosts in the league table.

The opening quarter saw Creggan dominate possession, but their wayward shooting was costing them dearly as they put shot after shot wide of the target. It was seven minute before they raised their first flag with Sean Duffin firing over, but St Brigid’s hit back with a bang as Ryan Tweedy finished to the Creggan net following a great pass from Peter Henley. Tweedy then won the kick-out before sending it straight back over the bar to put the home team a goal clear.

Ryan Tweedy turns away in celebration after beating Creggan keeper Graham for St Brigid’s opening goal

Suddenly the game burst into life and a minute later Creggan were level when Paddy Coey fired a penalty to the net, but St Brigid’s hit back again when Jack Dowling rounded the stranded Creggan keeper Graham and fired to the empty net.

The second quarter continued at great pace as St Brigid’s edged in front when Henvey pointed, but Tiernan Burke tied things up again with a point from a free, before adding one from play. Paddy Coey put them two clear as half time approached but a point from a free from Conor McAleer brought the hosts back to within a point at half time.

St Brigid’s had chances at the start of the second half but like their visitors in the opening period, they failed to take advantage of good opportunities and it was Creggan who stretched their lead with two points from Jamie McCann. St Brigid’s came back with a point from Ryan Tweedy just before the second half water break and it was clear it was going to remain a tight affair.

High fives! Creggan’s T McCann and St Brigid’s R Boyle battle for a high ball.

The south west side regained the initiative after the restart and they struck a telling blow when substitute McGuckin palmed the ball to the St Brigid’s net following good approach work by Jake McAteer. The visitors appeared to be in control at this stage but to their credit St Brigid’s battled back and two points from Tweedy frees, and one each from Dowling and Finnegan kept the game in the balance, but Creggan held on for a one point win.

ST BRIGID’S: D Heery; S Campbell; C King, C Webb; R Boyle, J Toner, P Finnegan; M Cummings, J Dowling (1-1); P King, R Tweedy (1-6, 0-3 frees), J Morgan; P Henvey (0-2), J Finnegan (0-1), C McAleer (0-1 free). Subs: J Smith for C McAleer (34), N Lundy for S Campbell (55).

CREGGAN: P Graham; E Carey-Small, S Maguire, J McAteer; T McCann, J McCann (0-1), A Maguire (0-1); K Rice, A McKeown; M Rodgers (0-1), P Coey (1-1, 1-0 pen), K Burke; S Duffin (0-2), T Burke (1-2), O McLarnon.

Subs: F Burke (0-1) for K Rice (20), D McGuckin (1-0) for T Burke (45).

REFEREE: Brendan Tolan (Lámh Dhearg)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.