St. Ergnat’s rally comes too late to influence result

Northern Switchgear SFC, Group One
O’Donovan Rossa 1-16 St Ergnat’s, Moneyglass 1-9

A sparkling finish by St. Ergnat’s Moneyglass came too late to influence the final result in this Northern Switchgear SFC Round 3 encounter as Rossa recorded their first win of the present campaign at Shaw’s Road last night. Rossa ran out winners by seven points and had scorers all over the park on the night but will be disappointed at their injury time lapse.

Visitors St. Ergnat’s battled all the way and continue to show improvement from their opening two games but found it difficult to stay in touch with a fluid Rossa side who moved the ball around with confidence and were in pole position when they led 0-9 to 0-2 at half time.

Hugh McGettigan’s men had eight different scorers on the night with Dominic McEnhill topping the list with 0-7 and five of those points from play.

Rossa went on the attack right from the throw in but were forced to shoot from long range against a well organised Moneyglass defence who pulled men behind the ball to frustrate the opposition.

Rossa missed a couple of early chances and it was visitors St. Ergnat’s who broke for the game’s opening score when Conor Boyd pointed in the fourth minute.

Rossa replied with Dominic McEnhill evading the close attention of the visitors defence to fire over before converting a free that put his side into a lead they would hold until the finish.

Thomas Morgan added another to move his side 0-3 to 0-1 ahead at the first water-break with Colum Duffin replying with a point for the visitors on the restart and at this stage the Intermediate champions must have fancied their chances.

 They failed to build on that score however as Rossa dominated the remainder of the half with Matthew Mallon scoring from the left before Eoghan McMenamin and Michael Armstrong kicked good points.

Two more from McEnhill and an injury-time score from Cormac McGettigan gave Rossa a 0-9 to 0-2 lead at the break and Moneyglass looked in trouble.

The visitors enjoyed a good start to the second half as Duffin converted a couple of early frees to close the gap to five but the Shaw’s Road side responded with an excellent point from McMenamin.

The visitors were very much in the game at this stage however and Jack McCoy looked to be in for the game’s opening goal when he beat goalkeeper Mick Byrne to an inviting pass from Jervis Weir but the ball came back off the post and play was halted following an injury to the Rossa netminder.

This let off spurred Rossa into action and McEnhill finishing a good move at the other end and Conal McDonald converted a free before Gerard Walsh came forward to add another and put nine between the teams.

Moneyglass replied with a Sean Kelly point just before the water-break but any lingering doubts were put to bed as play resumed with Rossa launching an immediate attack and substitute Sean Pat Donnelly put Thomas Morgan in to finish to the net, with McEnhill converting a free straight after to push the gap out to 12.

The hosts were then reduced to 14 for 10 minutes when Mallon picked up a black card, but still out-scored their opponents by two points to one as both sides rung the changes late on.

It was all over at this stage but to their credit St. Ergnat’s kept battling to the end and were rewarded as Duffin kicked two points before full-back Peter McCormick thumped to the net. Substitute Aidan McErlain added a point with the final kick of the game, but these were merely consolation scores at this stage as Rossa had done more than enough to run out worthy winners.

This win puts Rossa back into the hunt after Cargin beat St. John’s last night but they will be disappointed with the last few minutes as they let the visitors in for 1-3 in stoppage time and it something manager Hugh McGettigan is sure to look at prior to the re-commencement of the championship next month.

ROSSA: M Byrne; C Orchin, P Moyes, N Crossan; G Walsh (0-1), R Gowdy, C McGuinness; C McGettigan (0-2), S Beatty; D McEnhill (0-7, 2 frees), M Armstrong (0-1), C McDonald (0-1 free); M Mallon (0-1), E McMenamin (0-2), T Morgan (1-1).
Subs: SP Donnelly for C McDonald (44), C Fleming for M Armstrong (53), J Cooley for S Beatty (55), D Grego for T Morgan (56), C McGowan for C Orchin (57).

MONEYGLASS: G Murray; C McStocker, Peter McCormick (1-0), L O’Donnell; S Kelly (0-1), F Duffin, J Weir; T Duffin, C Duffin (0-6, 3 frees); K McPeake, Patrick McCormick, M Neeson; C Boyd (0-1 free), J McCoy, C O’Kane.
Subs: A McErlain (0-1) for K McPeake (29), C Prenter for C McStocker (HT), J McCormick for C O’Kane (43), T Cassidy for L O’Donnell (51), D Neeson for M Neeson (54).

REFEREE: Fionntan McCotter (Sarsfield’s) 


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.