Second half goals swings it Rasharkin’s way

ACFL Division 2

St. Mary’s Rasharkin 2-11 St. James Aldergrove 1-11

Photographs: Mark Hasson

Rasharkin produced their best performance of the season when they defeated St. James Aldergrove in a fiercely contested fixture at Dreen on Sunday. The home side trailed 0-4 to 1-4 at the break but second half goals from Eamon McNeill and Seamus Ellis turned the game decisively in their favour.

It was visitors Aldergrove who made the better start at Dreen on Sunday as they took the lead through Brian McQuillan after 9 minutes with Eamon McNeill replying with a point for the home side to level the contest with 10 minutes gone.

Slowly the visitors began to gain control and a point from Seamus Trolan and a goal from the bustling Ronan Hanna in the 17th minute saw them move four ahead. Shane Hasson replied for St. Mary’s from a pointed free but two further points from Ronan Hanna saw the visitors move five ahead with five minutes of the first half remaining.

The home side had been on the back foot for a time but they finished the half strongly and Shane Hasson fired over from play and added a late free to close the gap to three at the halfway stage.

It was St. Mary’s who made the better start to the second half, obviously intent to reel in their opponents and Tiernan O’Boyle fired over before Ryan Lynch added an audacious effort from out on the left hand sideline with only three minutes of the new half gone.

The home side were in full flight as Shane Hasson sent over the equaliser before Connor Morris replied to edge the visitors ahead once more.

Eamon McNeill levelled the game once more as he sent over in the 7th minute but Aldergrove found another response and looked to have rode out the early Rasharkin onslaught. The visitors replied with unanswered points from Eoin Gough and two from Michael Blaney to move three ahead after 14 minutes.

That lead didn’t last long however as the home side came storming back to dominate the next five minutes as Ryan Lynch pointed a free and Eamon McNeill hammered home his side’s opening goal to edge them in front once more.

Seamus Ellis and Shane Hasson added point to move the Dreen men three in front but the visitors replied through Ryan McCarthy and Michael Blaney to leave just one in it again with four minutes of normal time remaining.

It still looked anyone’s game at this stage but St. Mary’s struck a decisive blow when Seamus Ellis forced a turnover and began and finished an excellent counter attack as he fired to the net to put his side in control.

The final score of the game fell to Aldergrove’s Seamus Trolan who pointed a late free but it came too late to effect the final result as Rasharkin went on to record their second win on the trot to move onto 7 points and away from the danger zone.

Rasharkin: 1 – Andrew Hasson, 2 – Daniel Doherty, 3 – Emmet McFerran, 4 – Pearse Kelly, 5 – Oran McMullan, 6 – Seamus Ellis, 7 – Conor Hasson, 8 – Tiernan O’Boyle, 9 – Thomas McMullan, 10 – Shane Hasson, 11 – Eammon McNeill, 12 – Killian O’Boyle, 13 – Ruairi OBoyle, 14 – Gerard O’Hagan, 15 – Ryan Lynch

Aldergrove: 1 Shane O’Neill, 2 Corey Fogarty, 3 Feargal Hanna, 4 Christopher Browning, 24 Oisin  Graham, 6 Andy Flood, 7 Conor Browning, 8 Brian McQuillan, 10 Michael Blaney, 11 Ronan Hanna, 12 Declan Gough, 13 Conor Morris, 14 Seamus Trolan, 15 Ryan McCarthy, 17 Eoin Gough.

Referee: Darren McKeown

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.