Dominant Cargin secure Reserve League Title

A C Division one (Reserve) League

Erin’s Own Cargin 4-17    St Mary’s Aghagallon 1-05

The Cargin second string secured the division one reserve league title with a win over the visiting Aghagallon side in what was a dominant display at the Toome venue on Friday evening last.

The Erin’s Own outfit having continued through the season without a defeat thus far did start this one as firm favourites and the pace laden PJ Quinn found the net shortly into proceedings and Ben Dobbin added another a few minutes thereafter they looked in charge.

Aghagallon did strive to open their account early in proceedings as Jonathan Hannon raised white, but the home side, with the impressive Mark Keegan solid at centre back were not to make further the concession until the second quarter when Ruairi Mc Shane added a second point in aid of the visitors.

In the interim the home side having dominated with corner man PJ Quinn, mid fielder Eunan Quinn, Paudie Mc Laughlin adding points apiece before the impressive Kieran Close helped himself to three the home side had opened up a ten point advantage at 2-06 to 0-02.

Aghagallon did looked to make addition to their total even when they did manage to gain passage to the posts with Michael Mc Stravick making inroads the St Mary’s side’s finishing did prove erratic.

The home side were having better luck in their finishing with John Mc Nabb, Marty O’ Neill and the ever accurate Kieran Close (2)  to the board raising whites, and a slick interchange between PJ Quinn and Eunan Quinn saw the latter claim an eye catching goal to ensure a 3-10 to 0-02 interval advantage.

The visitors really required a positive start to the second portion if they were to make any inroads into the home side’s advantage, but in the event it was the Toome men who were quicker into stride to maintain domination.

John Mc Nabb did grab a major within a minute of the resumption and delivering a point minute thereafter with the ever busy Kieran Close adding

A further brace before Paudie Mc Laughlin followed suit, the end was well in sight.

The home side did look to the bench in the last quarter giving game time the Michael Clarke, Benny Laverty, Michael Mc Guckin and Tom Shivers with the latter signalling his presence with a point after introduction.

The indomitable Kieran Close and Odhran Molloy added further points before the visitors made reply with a well delivered Ruairi Mc Shane goal fully aided by a smart Aaron Doherty cross.

The St Mary’s men did continue to push forward in the latter stages but although they did have the last say on proceedings as the hard grafting Niall Patterson grabbed a couple of points but such, delivered in respective stylish finish were much in consolation with the home side crossing the winning line to claim victory and secure the league title on a winning scoreline of 4-17 to 1-05.

Referee J Moran (St Joseph’s)



Tomas Laverty, Eoin Coyle, Gerard Mc Corley, Dermot Mc Guckin, Jack Kelly, Mark Keegan, Ben Dobbin (1-00), Odhran Molloy (0-01) Eunan Quinn (1-00), Paudie Mc Laughlin (0-01), Kieran Close (0-07), Shay Bovill (0-1), Marty O’ Neill (0-01), John Mc Nabb (1-03), PJ Quinn (1-01)


Brendan Laverty

Michael Mc Guckin

Michael Clarke


Gabhan Baine, Stephen Brannigan, Jack Nelson, Sean Doherty, Aaron Doherty (0-01), Jonathan Harbinson, Kieran Magee, Ruairi Mc Shane (1-010, Chris Henry, Callum Fitzpatrick, Niall Patterson (0-02), Seanan Donnelly, Michael Mc Sravick, Jack Hannon (0-01), Conal Patterson

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.