Emotions run high as Charlie Magill completes his marathon walk

Charlie Magill’s 364 mile walk for the South coast of Cork to his native Glenarm, which started at 9am on Sunday 24th July ended on Friday evening at 23 minutes past six when Charlie led a team of walkers over the bridge in his native Glenarm. A little bit later than scheduled, but with so much buzz around the final day that was to be expected.

Charlie with Rita and Joe Gibson at Rathsherry Farm

The last day of the walk, which raised funds and awareness of Parental Alienation, started in the village of Rasharkin at 9am and the walkers were soon hit by a heavy downpour, but luckily that was to be the only rain the saw all day. It continued over through Glarryford and up through Clough and down the Corby, despite the road being closed to cars because of road works, the walkers were allowed through. The firs brief refreshment stop was at Donnelly’s of Rathkenny where Conor and the staff had laid out some snacks, the on up the the Knockan Road, left along the Killygore Road for a short spell before taking a right turn up the Longmore Road. Another brief stop at Gibsons corner where refreshments were provided by Charlie’s good friends and former employers Joe and Rita Gibson at Rathsherry farm. The rest of the group carried on but Charlie needed a second cup of Rita’s tea, and so trailed the rest until the all met up again at the Half Way House on the Carnlough Line.

Up over the hill to Charlie’s sister’s house for another refreshment stop, where the support walkers numbers had swelled to over 70, then on out past the shedding and a sharp right turn up the Munie Road for the home leg. Out to Carnageragh Sheddings on soon the view of the North Channel, the first view of the sea since leaving Cork two weeks ago. Emotions were running high as the made their way down past the castle and into Glenarm. Charlie led the way and there were more than a few tears shed as they crossed the bridge to end his epic journey.  

On the second night of the walk in Cork a local man came to see Charlie and told him he didn’t want to dishearten him but to him he would not complete the walk. The local man, who was an experienced rambler, told Charlie that what he was proposing to do could not be not be done and that he would break down with injuries on day five. What he said annoyed Charlie and it played on his mind for a couple of days, but is soon passed and he completed the walk feeling a good as on the day he started. When he was stopped with the Gibson’s at their Rathsherry Farm on Friday he told me he would love to walk back down and tell that old man that he was talking nonsense.

Charlie was determined to complete the walk, nothing was going to stop him…and nothing did!

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.