Goals the difference as Lámhs make it three wins on the bounce

O’Neills ACFL Division One

St Ergnat’s Moneyglass 0-09-2-08 Lámh Dhearg

Kevin Herron reports from Moneyglass

Lámh Dhearg chalked up their third league win on the spin thanks to goals either side of the break from Kieran Fay-Kelly and Declan Dunne in their 2-08-0-09 win over Moneyglass on Sunday afternoon.

The visitors moved off the bottom of the table following a midweek win over Ahoghill- their second league win on the bounce,.

On their return to Division One, Moneyglass haven’t looked out of place and went into the encounter off a hard fought win over St Galls at Milltown on Wednesday evening.

It was the hosts who edged ahead in the early stages through a Dermot McErlain point, though Owen McKeown produced a fine score to restore parity.

A foul on McKeown lead to Declan Dunne converting the resulting free and giving his side the lead and it was soon doubled with Kieran Fay-Kelly swinging a fantastic effort over the bar.

Sean Boyd replied for Moneyglass midway through the half and a second converted free from McErlain tied the sides at 0-03 apiece.

Lámh Dhearg immediately regained the lead after Declan Dunne picked out Shaun McManus- who claimed an advanced mark and dually sent his effort between the posts.

The games opening goal would arrive after 21 minutes. Padraig Mervyn was felled and Declan Lynch’s quick instinct paid dividends as he found Declan Dunne to lay it off to Kieran Fay-Kelly on the loop and hammer a shot high into the net and give the visitors a 1-04-0-03 lead.

Colum Duffin would reduce arrears, converting back-to-back frees- but Fay-Kelly’s goal was the deciding factor at the break as Declan Dunne kicked his second free of the half to ensure his side were 1-05-0-05 ahead at the midway point.

Dunne twice extended Lámh Dhearg’s lead with magnificently taken frees off the ground, but on both occasions Moneyglass answered back.

Seanchann Duffin steered an effort between the posts and then sibling Colum arrowed a shot over. The hosts had momentum and further scores from the brothers would ensure Moneyglass cut the deficit to a single point with three minutes remaining.

Colum kicked another tremendous point from play to bring his personal tally to 0-04 and Seanchann dropped over a free with the outside of the boot to set-up a grandstand finish.

The decisive moment of the encounter came two minutes from time, substitute Adam Murray let fly with a shot that failed to generate height. However, Declan Dunne claimed the loose ball and was able to turn and stab his shot beyond the reach of Gary Murray and into the bottom corner to make it 2-07-0-09.

Murray would convert a free in added time to seal the win as Lámh Dhearg claimed their third win in succession and.

St Ergnat’s Moneyglass: G Murray, C McStocker, C Prenter, J McCormick, P Duffin, P McCormick, J McCoy, C Duffin (0-04, 0-02f), D McErlain (0-02f), K McCann, A McErlain, C McCann, S Boyd (0-01), S Duffin (0-02, 0-01f), C O’Kane. Subs: Fearghal Duffin for D McErlain (24), Frank Duffin for C McCann (52), T Cassidy for C Prenter (52).

Lámh Dhearg: J Finucane, F Mervyn, B Rice, M McGarry, D Smith, D Lynch, M Hynes, P Mervyn, M McElgunn, E Stanley, S McManus (0-01m), O McKeown (0-01), T McCrudden, D Dunne (1-04, 0-04f), K Fay-Kelly (1-01). Subs: N McGarry for E Stanley (43), D Martin for M McElgunn (51), A Murray (0-01f) for K Fay-Kelly (56), P Larkin for D Dunne (59).

Referee: Kevin Parke (Naomh Éanna)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.