Saints Hit Eight against neighbours St. Comgall’s

ACFL Division 2

All Saints 8-17  St. Comgall’s 0-7

All Saints kept their winning run up after a 10 day break since their hard fought victory over St Enda’s and made light work of Antrim as they run out convincing winners.

Despite the dominant score line it took All Saints six minutes to break the deadlock and it came through their top scorer of the season Michael McCarry as he brilliantly curled over a long range point to get the ball rolling for the Ballymena men.  There was no stopping Saints after the first score as they soon found the net when Connell Lemon jinked past two men before smashing the ball into the roof of the net to open up a four point lead.  Antrim showed some fight though and got a point back when 13 pointed from a close range free.  After this Saints were rampant as they hit six unanswered points all from play coming courtesy of Eoin Campbell, Connell Lemon, Paddy McAleer, Ciaran McLarnon, Ciaran McGarry and Emmet Killough.  This run of points really knocked the visitors and All Saints turned the screw even more when they hit the net once again when Eoin Campbell did brilliantly to react quickest to knock home the rebound after his own shot had been saved.  Sean McVeigh playing in a more advanced full forward roll for Saints was yet to get on the scoresheet but he was at the heart of everything Saints were doing and he played a massive part in the next three goals as he laid the ball off for Connell Lemon and Eoin Campbell to get their second goals of the game before he brilliantly handed the ball off for Michael McCarry who found the net from 20 yards out to all but kill the game as a contest.  Saints were to add two further points before the break when full back Peter McNicholl moved up the pitch and coolly split the posts from 30 yards out, the prolific Michael McCarry got another point before Antrim got their first score from play on the half time whistle, to make the score 5-9 to 0-2 at the break.

Ciaran Shannon came off the bench at half time for Saints replacing Barney Logan who had went through a power of work in the first half, and it wasn’t long until he got on the scoresheet with a close range point.  Some of the football Saints were playing now was a joy to watch with two very good team scores coming through Michael McCarry and Ciaran McLarnon.  Antrim did offer more fight in the second half and hit two quick points through a free from 13 and a good score from Dylan Murdock.  But this fight back was short lived as Ciaran Shannon made it six goals for Saints on the day as he smashed the ball home from a tight angle and then minutes later he was hauled down in the square with a penalty being awarded.  Emmet Killough made no mistake in finding the net as Saints looked to rack up a big score line.  Antrim were more economical with their forays up field in the second half scoring two good points.  Saints emptied their bench in the second half and it was one of these replacements Kavan Keenan who got the next score as he curled the ball over for his first score in the Saints senior side.  This point was then added to with three further scores coming from Ciaran Shannon, Michael McCarry and Sean McVeigh getting his first of the game.  Michael McCarry and 13 then exchanged frees late in the half, but it was Saints who had the final say when Eoin Campbell unselfishly squared to the back post to Paddy McAleer to palm home Saints eighth goal of the game and seal a brilliant 34 point victory.

A very comfortable win for Saints against one of the lesser lights in Division Two, but the manner of the victory will have pleased the management team as the side played some great football scoring 7-16 from play on the day, and all eight forwards who played getting on the scoresheet.


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.