Lámhs edge out St Teresa’s to make last eight

Casement Social Club Antrim Junior Hurling Championship Group 2

Lámh Dhearg 4-09-1-14 St Teresa’s

From Kevin Herron at Hannahstown

Lámh Dhearg booked a spot in the last eight of junior hurling Championship with a derby victory over St Teresa’s at Hannahstown this afternoon.

A double from Ronan Fegan and a Daniel Murray goal had the Làmhs in the ascendancy at the break but St Teresa’s battled their way back into contention and hit the front despite being reduced to 14-men.

A fortunate goal from Sean-Paul Gibson restored his sides lead and the hosts held on thereafter despite also finishing a man light.

It was a winners take all clash at Hannahstown- owing to both sides falling at the hands of table toppers Con Magee’s on respective weekends.

St Teresa’s edged ahead early-on through a converted free from Phily Maguire but after 5 minutes the opening goal fell to the hosts.

Joe Doone attempted a low drive that was blocked by James Magornan but the keeper was quickly closed down by Ronan Fegan whose persistence paid off as the ball hit the net.

St Teresa’s were soon back on terms through a second Maguire free and a point from Robert Gallagher after a Maguire assist.

The Glen Road men hit a third unanswered point to regain the lead once more, Darren McCann saw his shot charged down and Niall McGettigan was on hand to float the ball over the bar.

Daniel Murray levelled instantly after Chris Nolan worked hard to regain possession and Aidan McGuigan supplied Murray with the sliotar.

McGuigan landed a point from range to put his side in the driving seat for the second time and on 11 minutes a second goal had the hosts in a promising position.

John Boyd had his run checked as he attempted to close in on goal- but St Teresa’s were vulnerable in defence and Ronan Fegan profited for the second time to give his side a 2-02-0-04 lead.

Two minutes later and the Lámhs had their third through Daniel Murray- the youngster showed a burst of pace and drew goalkeeper Magornan off his line before popping the ball home.

St Teresa’s responded positively with Robert Gallagher conjuring up a terrific point before the first-half water break.

Upon the games resumption Gallagher hit another two scores- the second of which Paddy-Joe Herron was forced to parry over the bar.

A third converted free from Phily Maguire had the Glen Road side within three-points of the Hannahstown outfit.

But just before the break John Boyd popped the ball over and goal-scorer Ronan Fegan rode a challenge and pointed to give his side a 3-04-0-08 advantage at the midway point in proceedings.

St Teresa’s suffered a blow a few minutes into the second period as referee Paul Hughes gave Pierce O’Rawe his marching orders for dissent.

Despite their numerical set-back the opening two scores of the half fell to the visitors courtesy of two further frees from Phily Maguire.

Daniel Murray responded from the same scenario but Maguire conjured up three scores on the spin- two of which arrived from play with the other from a free to reduce arrears to the bare minimum.

On 42 minutes St Teresa’s hit the front for the third time, Niall McCann popped a high ball in and Robert Gallagher flicked a low shot to the net to give his side a 1-13-3-05 lead.

The player count was then evened up as Joe Doone received his marching orders in the aftermath but with the final action before the second-half drinks break a fourth goal had Lámh Dhearg out in front again.

In truth it had a stroke of fortune about it- Sean-Paul Gibson attempted to close the gap with a high shot that appeared to be sailing into the hand of James Magornan, only for the St Teresa’s keeper to spill the ball to the net and with it his sides slender advantage as Lámh Dhearg were 4-05-1-13 to the good.

Momentum was now with the Hannahstown men with Cameron Flynn conjuring up a point upon the games resumption and Aidan McGuigan adding two further scores- the first from a 65’ and the second a floated near-post effort that sailed over.

Sean-Paul Gibson linked up with Flynn for his sides last score of the afternoon with Niall McCann replying from range.

It wasn’t enough for his side though as Lámh Dhearg progressed to the last eight of the Junior Championship.

Next Saturdays Quarter-final is a clash between the 2016 and 18 winners with Cushendun awaiting- St Teresa’s meanwhile drop into the Junior B Championship.

Lámh Dhearg: PJ Herron, T McKenna, M Lynch, C Nolan, J Brady, R Diamond, N McGuigan, SP Gibson (1-00), A McGuigan (0-03, 0-01 65’), M McGuigan, C Flynn (0-02), J Boyd (0-01), D Murray (1-02, 0-01f), J Doone, R Fegan (2-01). Subs: A Ferris for J Brady (HT), C McConville for N McGuigan (48), S Byrne for M McGuigan (53).

St Teresa’s: J Magornan, P Glennon, G O’Rawe, E Connolly, C Rouse, N McCann (0-01), J Campbell, P O’Rawe, C McGoldrick, C McCool, R Gallagher (1-04), C O’Rawe, D McCann, P Maguire (0-08, 0-06f), N McGettigan (0-01).

Referee: Paul Hughes (O’Donnells)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.