St Pat’s book place in Mageean semi-final

Mageean Cup

St Patricks, Maghera 2-11 Our Lady & St Patricks, Knock 0-6

Brendan McTaggart reports from Lavey

Goals early in both halves ensured St Pat’s progressed to the semi-final’s of this years Mageean Cup with an 11 point win over Our Lady & St Patrick’s, Knock.

It was a strong performance from the Maghera side who played with more intensity from the first whistle. With Peter McCullagh, Eoin Scullion and James Friel all outstanding throughout.  McCullagh would top score with four of his six points coming from play. 

St Pat’s opened a seven point lead by the short whistle and had an element of control in the second half. Centre half Owen Pucci finished top of the scorers for the Knock school with his four points all coming from placed ball but they struggled to make inwards in a strong Maghera defence.  

Tempers boiled over on a number of occasions as Our Lady & St Patrick’s upped their intensity levels to try and get back into the game but the Maghera men were tactically astute and dealt with the Knock schools challenge.

The sides were tied on one point each when Oisin McNicholl scored the opening goal of the game.  Shea O’Neill delivering the sliotar towards McNicholl who showed plenty of determination to score St Pat’s opening major in the seventh minute.

With conditions far from conducive for free flowing hurling, both sides struggled for any real fluency but St Pat’s showed enough in attack to ensure they could keep the scoreboard ticking.  McCullagh’s frees and Callum O’Kane catching the eye in particular in the Maghera schools attack.

With the score reading 1-8 to 0-4 at the half time break, Knock needed a strong start to the second half and while they played with more urgency and desire, St Pat’s raised their game also.

Like the first half, both sides scored points apiece before the Maghera school scored the second goal of the game.  A strong run from Callum O’Kane created space for McCullagh.  The sliotar fell loose and Cormac Mullan swept home to put 10 points between the sides just six minutes into the second half.

The scoring slowed in the second half with both sets of defences on top.  Niall Murtagh and Rory Corcoran shinning for the Knock school while Owen Hasson, Finn McEldowney and Eoin Scullion excelling for Maghera.

Some ugly scenes developed midway through the second half with the majority of both sets of players involved in a melee but common sense prevailed with both sets of managers getting involved to restore calm.

Maghera added gloss to the score line in the closing stages with O’Kane and McEldowney dissecting the posts with superb scores in injury time to ensure the St Pat’s men progress to a semi-final meeting with St Killian’s.


St Pat’s, Maghera: Oran McIlhinney; Conor Shiels, Adam McLaughlin, Owen Hasson; Finn McEldowney, James Friel, Dara McGonigle; Eoin Scullion, Shea McKenna; Peter McCullagh, Shea O’Neill, Cormac Mullan; Conor Murtagh, Callum O’Kane, Oisin McNicholl

Scorers: P McCullagh 0-6 (4f); O McNicholl 1-1; C Mullan 1-00; C O’Kane 0-2; E Scullion 0-1; F McEldowney 0-1

Knock: Tiarnan Davies; Conor Corcoran, Niall Murtagh, Shea Doran; Ben Taggart, Owen Pucci, James Higgins; Rory Corcoran, Rory McCamphill; Frank Kane, Jarlath McCollum, Matthew Doran; Fergal Gilmore, Shea Pucci, Jamie Young

Scorers: O Pucci 0-4 (4f); J McCollum 0-1; Shea Pucci 0-1

Referee: Malachy McToal (Newbridge)

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.