Moneyglass edge closer to league title

Homefit Antrim Football League – Division 2

Moneyglass 1-07  Glenravel 1-05

Moneyglass all but secured the All County Division 2 title with this victory over Glenravel at Marian Hill on Sunday. They now sit five points clear of their nearest rival, All Saints, with three games remaining. Indeed those two go head to head in the final outing of the season but by then surely the men in blue and yellow will already have been crowned Division Two  champions. This was a low scoring game played in a continuous cycle of sunshine and showers rendering underfoot conditions pretty treacherous. Both teams were guilty of fairly wayward shooting at times but the players will point to a combination of greasy surface and robust defending in explaining the paltry scores from open play.

Moneyglass started brightly with a point from Jack McCoy inside the opening minute before the visitors levelled and took the lead on five and six minutes, Aiden O’Donnell and Eamon Fyfe the providers. Moneyglass were awarded a penalty one minute later when Glenravel keeper Jamie McEvoy was adjudged to have fouled Connlaodh McCann inside the square but much to McEvoy’s relief the normally accurate Seanchann Duffin stroked the ball wide of the left upright and Glenravel were let off the hook. McCann would make amends with a point on nine minutes but that was after Fyfe had once again nudged Glenravel ahead one minute earlier. Eoin Hynds and Colm Duffin would exchange points so the first quarter ended with Con Magees ahead 0-04 to 0-03. A further eight minutes would pass scoreless but the game sprang into life when Dermot McErlaine’s low drive ended up in the back of the Glenravel net for the game’s opening goal. Two minutes later however the visitors swept down the field and a fine movement was awarded with a goal when Charlie Henry pounced to score from close range. Both teams retired to the comfort of the changing rooms with Glenravel a point to the good 1-04 to 1-03.

On the resumption, Moneyglass fired over two points in quick succession from the boot of Colm Duffin to regain a slender lead. With twenty minutes remaining, Conleth O’Loan side stepped his marker and pointed to bring the sides level once more. The final quarter was very uneventful, only producing two scores, both from frees for Moneyglass to leave them winners by two points.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.